Wednesday, August 27, 2008

It's official. . .

You thought I was going to say that I'm pregnant - didn't you . . . I'm not. I was going to say that it's official - we have an awesome soccer player in our little family and I have become a soccer mom . . . the inevitable has happened.

Jax had his first soccer game last night and it was the funniest and funnest thing we've done in a long time. What a riot to watch those little boys play 4 on 4 soccer. I lost count of how many times one team scored a goal in the wrong net, or how many times the coaches could be heard encouraging those adorable little boys to turn the ball around and go THE OTHER WAY!

So the bragging part of this entry, much less the whole reason for it, is because Jax rocked. A couple of things surprised me watching him last night. First - he gets it, he understands the game enough to be thinking ahead. When he could tell that the ball was headed toward his goal - instead of joining the big ball of 7 other litle boys trying to kick it - he backed up and played goalie, with no prompting from his coach or dad. In fact, he even had a few saves. Second - he is tough. I always knew he was tough but watching him from the side is different. He fell down going full speed several times and got right back up and hustled to that ball as fast as his little body could. And third - he really is good! He was one of the youngest out there and that's right -


Jax scored 2 goals!
The second goal he scored he got the ball all the way at the other end of the field and took off. He sprinted with the ball down to the other end with only one other teammate trailing him. When I was talking to him about it later - he said "those other boys tried to be funny and didn't chase me when I went to score!" I then told him, which he didn't realize until right then, that those others boys didn't give up or try to be funny - they just couldn't catch him! Anyway - it was really fun. I can't wait for the next game on Saturday! Through the month of Sept. he gets to have a game on each Tues. and Sat. So much fun . . .


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is official. Watching Jax run back and forth and like Katie said, show such understanding of the game, had to be one of the cutest little boy things I've ever witnessed. He WAS indeed awesome. Can't hardly wait for Saturday's game. And I have to add, it was equally as cute to watch Grayson patiently sitting on Katie's lap, a rarety in my experience, waiting for the field to empty so he could have his own turn with his own ball that he'd brought. Adorable boys, those two.

The Shavers said...

That is so awesome!! He is so adorable and I just wish that we could be there to watch him be his little stud self!!!

Candy Javier said...

Yay for Jax!!

Anonymous said...

I knew i was in this family for a reason. If we can keep cassie from calling a 'grass ferry' then his future looks bright.
SJD

Anonymous said...

When you got it..you got it. It doesn't matter what sport it is. I knew Jax had it a long time ago. I am just waiting to see where it leads.

Dad

Anonymous said...

The absolute best part of the whole soccer-thing is his SMILE!!! Go, Jax! Love, gmadftgbegm