Sunday, April 20, 2008


Okay, so here we are having another Sunday at our house. Having grown up with really strict parents and not a lot of young boys, I remember quiet and calm Sundays with no wrestling, kicking, tackling, yelling, or anything of the kind. I, however, have these two young crazies who can't sit still for more than two seconds. In fact, I can remember going over to Abby's house a couple of weeks ago to see her girls very quietly sitting and doing puzzles and games together. So I, of course, thought that we could try that at our house. Not going to happen. We did try it and guess what happened? Gray wanted to taste each crayon to see what they tasted like and Jackson decided to try to shoot hoops with the crayons. Hey, if you can't get your hands on a real ball, you've got to work with what you've got right? I gave up . . .

It's only 10:00 AM at our house and already we have wrestled, had a pretzel fight, spitting competition and played the always fun game of seeing who can catch and tackle Addie first, much to Addie's dismay. I have also had to ask the boys to please put the basketballs away maybe 50 times. Church is at 11:00. . .

So here's my question, what do you guys do on Sunday's to keep some sense of quiet and calm at your houses? I think I've come to a compromise with my boys that if we can have quiet activities until church, then we can shoot hoops after. Now let's see if we can make it through Sacrament without yelling "you're a poopy diaper!" really loud. . . .



6 comments:

Daines said...

Ah..the Brousseau house...
We don't have any new ideas about Sundays, but we love our Sunday movies and napping. Also, Sunday is usually the day that I bake. You guys could maybe go on walks to that cool park by Addie's school. We loved that one!

Anonymous said...

Poor Addie! We also really love walks together. One other thing we like to do is play games together. The boys really like Hungry, hungry hippos, Don't break the ice, etc. It's fun, and they love it! I can't wait to see you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Although we had girls, sweet Sabbath days were still a chore...and exhausting one at that...but life is so complex we just tried and tried to find ways for you all to feel the Spirit in its quiet way so that when you left the nest, you would be able to recognize it and not feel like you were alone. We tried walks, books, sharing time, interviews, journal writing, naps, and family home evening spiritual lessons. Your testimonies comfort me that maybe it worked a little...Love, mom

Brousseau Family said...

Mom - I LOVED quiet time Sundays. I think that's why things are so frustrating now because I like it calm and quiet. Somehow the little spirits in my boys did not come with calm or quiet programmed into their bodies :). I'm trying to find a compromise between what I want my Sunday's to be and what my boys can handle. . . .

Katie

Anonymous said...

Katie,

On Sundays when the weather was nice, and sometimes when it wasn't, I took you guys on long walks to tire you out. We played all sorts of games on those walks and had treats, too. It also give you a chance to talk about things you ordinarily would not have a chance to talk about, which helps pass the time as you walk. We talked in detail about your Sunday School and Primary lessons and also about cars, sports, and anything else we could think of. When we got home, after a long, tiring walk, you guys rarely wanted to do anything physical. I know you were girls not boys, but it might help. Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

I have such great memories from those walks with you, dad. :-)