Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Santa Dilemma

Okay - for those of you who live down here in Utah - I've probably told you this story. . . Sorry!

Anyway - My dear sweet 7 year old daughter has wanted the SAME thing for Christmas for 3 years now. The first year we were able to talk her out of it, the second year (last year) we found a cheaper version and thought the problem was solved. But, here comes Christmas this year, and without a word Addie wrote her christmas list and at the very top was the same thing, again. What does she want? An American Girl doll. . . . She has not complained about the cheaper version last year, in fact, she didn't even say a word. Instead, she simply put it on her christmas list and circled each one she liked in the catalog.

So, when I saw it on the list, I discussed with her that maybe she should have a backup plan because what she wanted was so expensive ($100 just for the doll . . . ). She heard what I had to say and didn't mention it again until last week . . . when we went to see Santa. As we were walking in she said to me, "I've decided to ask Santa for the American Girl doll so that you don't have to pay for it!" So . . . here's the dilemma (well, not really since I gave in and ordered it), when things like this happen - you can't possibly ruin Santa for your kids so somehow your brilliant 7-year old has backed you into a corner. Well done Addie, well done. Kids are smarter than we give them credit for!

So - the softie that I am - I ordered the doll with earrings, a cell phone, and 2 dance outfits. And, oddly enough, I am SOOO excited to see her face on Christmas morning. Santa lives on for one more year!!! Merry Christmas . . ..

11 comments:

April said...

How exciting! I love those dolls! (My aunt gave me one when I was in high school, so if Addy ever wants to come over and play...I'd love it:)

Maxfields said...

That is so awesome! I have always loved those dolls. I never had one but I always looked at the catalogs. I'm sure she will LOVE it!

Daines said...

So cute, you are such a sucker! Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

until she reads your blog and finds out that you are santa

KimMoore said...

Just look at it this way.. because you know how I love to rationalize. This is the last Christmas Addie gets to be the only daughter in the house! Honestly, with the new little one this may not be an option for you next year. And yes, breaking her heart and ruining Santa is not a great option either. Good choice.

Ali the B. said...

well I know that is ALL she is talking about, oh & a guitar don't forget the guitar EVERY day in the carpool...today her & Brooke were 'discussing' the fact that they ARE getting what they want, so awesome choice & just know that she will be so dang excited you better have the camera ready!! And you better blog the entire episode!!!!

Life According to Scott said...

Katie... Secret Santa has sent her something in the mail so if you want to get that and add it to that you can! Your call!

Holly Sanders said...

that is too funny--what do you say when she says something like that? Which doll is she getting? My girls didn't get a birthday party last year and they only got one present and that was their American girl doll--see it fitting that we lived an hour away from NYC and it was going to be our last trip we splurged I guess even though i still think it was a pretty expensive birthday present. Maggie has Kit, and Audrey has Ruthie. they are pretty dang cute dolls and the girls have enjoyed them, so I'm sure you can't go wrong. Now we are going to LA for Christmas and of course they are already talking about going to the American Girl store in LA--it really is a never ending hobby

Anonymous said...

Girls are cunning little creatures...luckily she's going to get it...relieved! Love, Tim/Uncle Tim

Anonymous said...

Am I correct...aren't there books that go along with the dolls...yes/no?? Love, mom/gma

Anonymous said...

Katie, this is only the beginning. What are you going to do when she asks for a car? I already know the answer. Grandpa D.