Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The BEST night of my whole life

We are so lucky. My little family is lucky because we have an outgoing networking fiend for a Dad/Husband. He is friends with anyone and everyone and that really has come to bring some awesome opportunities as a result. Let me explain. My husband has a friend he plays softball with that works in the Sports Marketing Department at BYU, or something like that. Anyway, he is the nicest friend and anytime has extra tickets to an event, passes them on to my husband.

Over the last few weeks, my husband has gotten to know Charles Abouo who plays basketball for BYU. For dinner last Sunday night, we invited Matt's softball friend and his family over, and a few days before Matt came to me and said - I invited a few BYU basketball players and roommates over too! I didn't hold my breath, wasn't sure if that would really happen, but was hopeful that they would come for my cute boys who love them. Well, sure enough at dinner time, not only did Charles show up, but so did Jimmer Fredette and his roommate Justin.

I tried to prep my kids to not be shy around them, and to also not overdo their excitement but to just treat them like normal regular people. Addie said, shocked, "Mom, they are not regular people! They are famous, and since they are coming to our house, we are famous!" Nice Addie.

If you've met Jackson - you know that he talks about Jimmer on a first name basis and has a shrine to him in his room including one of his shoes from last season. Can you even imagine my son's face and emotions through that night? Needless to say, it was amazing. They played basketball together and ate and talked for over 3 hours. Those players were kind and humble and simply amazing. I have a new respect for them after Sunday night. I believe that they will be coming every now and then for a good (um, not sure about the good part) cooked dinner on Sundays...since they don't have host families like they do in CDA! When they left I asked Jax, with a 10 being the best ever, and a 1 being boring, how he would rate his night.

He thought about, slowly smiled, and said, "This was the best night of my whole life." Perfect. A mother's dream. Thanks to Charles and Jimmer for taking time out of their day, the day right after a win over Utah, to spend with my little boys. Simply amazing. I took some pictures but they are on my camera at home... I will post them later!

5 comments:

April said...

HOW FUN!!!! I bet the kids were in heaven!

Gin said...

That is so cool, sounds like it was an amazing night!!

dad said...

Rewards come in different packages. How wonderful for the kids and for you, too, to have such a great experience.

Anonymous said...

Simply delightful...I can only imagine the power of such graciousness on a child's developing soul. May both givers and receivers be richly blessed!! Love, mom/gma

Anonymous said...

simply amazing for you guys i hope i see you very soon! love,tim\uncle tim